Synagogue in Police u Jemnice Czech Republic

Introduction

The synagogue in Police u Jemnice is a baroque building with remnant murals which was constructed in 1759, while the cemetery indicates that Jewish settlement in the region dates to centuries earlier.

The synagogue was in use until the end of the 19th Century, and was then used for commercial purposes.  The building is now owned by the Federation of Jewish Communities in Czech Republic.

The Challenge

The synagogue building was in a devastated state when the Federation took ownership of it.  The first phase of the restoration project entailed researching the site.  Gaining the necessary permits for a preservation programme has also now been completed and work has begun on the synagogue restoration.  However, the full funding required to finish the project has not been secured and therefore it is as yet uncertain as to whether the project can be fully completed.

The Plan

The Federation hopes to complete the full restoration of the synagogue building, returning it to the original look of a modest country synagogue, and this will include renovation of the inside murals under the supervision of the National Heritage Institution.

The synagogue will then be open to the public and used for museum purposes presenting the history and culture of the Jewish communities in the Bohemia region.